Hear from artist collective Five Mile Radius as they talk about their arts practice and the inspiration behind the work 444 Queen Street in An Alternative Economics.
This video is designed to engage students in a collaborative design challenge to design a piece of furniture using salvaged or reclaimed materials.
– Watch the artist video of Five Mile Radius on the IMA Resources webpage.
– Collaborate in small groups to design a future focused item of furniture.
– Sketch your design then create a prototype using waste cardboard.
– Experiment with construction and joining techniques such as rolling, tearing, cutting and creating tabs and slots to refine your design.
– To extend this activity further, draw a relationships mind map that outlines the people, businesses, and organisations in your community that you could source these materials from.